If you don't see an ingredient listed on the front page of CocktailSafe.org, here is a path toward researching information for yourself.
Unfortunately without renewed financial support for the website we cannot afford to research individual requests - though we'd love to hear if you find a problematic ingredient not listed here! (contact us for that)
This is the path that we would likely take when researching a new ingredient:
- First search on the CocktailSafe homepage
- Use the search page to see if it is listed elsewhere on the site but not on the homepage
- Do a web search for INGREDIENTNAME SAFE
- Do a web search for INGREDIENTNAME DANGER
- Search the FDA website for any mentions. (These sites can be confusing but if you see it confirmed on the 'GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE' list/page that's a great sign.)
- Double check at the TTB website by putting the ingredient into the search to make sure it's not prohibited there.
Best of luck, and when in doubt, leave it out!