The TTB's Take on CBD in Beverages
02 May 2019
This article on Alcohol Law Advisor summarizes the US TTB's position on CBD - and hemp oil - in beverages, backing up the US FDA's position.
- TTB will require a formula for any product containing a hemp-derived ingredient
- TTB will not approve a formula for any product containing a Schedule I controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act
- TTB will not approve a formula for any product containing CBD until FDA changes its current position towards CBD as a food ingredient. FDA currently views interstate commerce in any food containing CBD as a violation of the federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act
- TTB will continue to approve formulas for alcohol beverages containing ingredients derived from hemp seeds and hemp oil
- TTB will not approve a formula for any product containing a hemp ingredient other than those derived from hemp seeds or oil unless it also receives adequate evidence that FDA deems the ingredient generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for food