We will be expanding this page over time as new discover new useful resources.
Food Safety, Generally
- Servsafe.com from the National Restaurant Association offers online and classroom courses and certifications in food safety and now allergen safety (for a fee).
- Toxnet (from National Institutes of Health) https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov
- ATSDR Toxic Substances Portal by the CDC http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/index.asp
- FoodSafety.gov https://www.foodsafety.gov
- "Naturally Occurring Food Toxins" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3153292/
- FDA Poisonous Plants Database: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/plantox
- Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart (2009) [link]. Great resource from the author of The Drunken Botanist. The book has no index but the downloadable version is searchable.
- Wild Drinks and Cocktails by Emily Han (2016) [link]. Good info on foraging, plant botany, and poisons/allergens as it relates to drinks.
- Everything Added to Food in the United States (EAFUS) http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnnavigation.cfm?rpt=eafuslisting
- US Code of Federal Regulations –
- CFR Title 21, Chapter 1, Subchapter B Food for Human Consumption
- GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) foods https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fdcc/?set=SCOGS
- “Substances Generally Prohibited From Direct Addition or Use as Human Food” https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=189
- Canada Laws and Regulations
- Quebec alcohol standards and identity document https://marketing.globalwinespirits.com/SAQ_B2B/Gestion%20Qualite/Guide_constitution_et_stabilite_ANG.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0QbAU6YcmCNUKcikMRrW7LHczC5780YiO7dC1JSuwH_0qUuTLlD7TdIeE
https://www.racj.gouv.qc.ca/accueil.html Quebec alcohol
- Ontario: http://www.doingbusinesswithlcbo.com/tro/Packaging-Quality/Downloads/PPS_EN.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2cds5HpEF4HQxGtIGInMyP7SXji_YFO_ZZtb_Mn2mIP2IZcuCtiLZ8WD8
Allergies and Diets
- Barnivore: Lists which alcohol products are vegetarian/vegan. http://www.barnivore.com/
- Long list of allergens in commercial spirits/liqueurs (we have not fact-checked this): http://www.revolution-bars.co.uk/drinks-allergen-information.pdf
"Avoid Food-Drug Interactions: A Guide from the National Consumers League and U.S. Food and Drug Administration" [link to PDF]